LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch

On Your Side: Crime concern, suspected child abuse

1:08 PM, Jan 3, 2014   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The On Your Side team fielded questions from as far away as Arkansas on a variety of topics. Here is the assistance we were able to provide.

Crime concern

Alisia, of Jacksonville, wrote in saying she is deeply concerned about reported crime in her apartment complex. She said she felt management was not doing enough about it.

First, if the situation seems like too much to bear, it might be wise to call police.

Secondly, residents may want to call the Citizens Dispute Settlement Program at (904) 630-2400. From there, a complaint can be filed about neighborhood harassment.

Also, if you or someone you know is the victim of a crime, the Florida Attorney General's office has resources broken down by Florida region.

Alisia and others in her situation can also learn more about tenant's rights in Florida and file a complaint with the state of Florida.

Suspected Child Abuse

The On Your Side team was contacted by a family in Arkansas who said they believe their child is the victim of abuse in St. Johns County. The family pleaded for help.

Given the scope and time, here what the OYS team suggests:

-If a child is in immediate danger, call police at 911.

-Call the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office at (904) 824-8304

-Contact the Florida Council Against Sexual Violence rape crisis. The number is 1-888-956-RAPE (7273)

-Call the Florida Department of Children and Families immediately at (800) 962-2873.

Alternative phone numbers for DCF:

-Northeast Regional Managing Director David Abramowitz, (904) 723-2000

-Client Relations Coordinator Patricia Hubbard for DCF's Circuit 7, which covers St. Johns County, (904) 386-4910

-Debbie Ansbacher, (904) 485-9540

Again, if your child is in an emergency, call police.

First Coast News

Most Watched Videos