LOS ANGELES, CA - NOVEMBER 18: TV personality Jenny McCarthy attends the 40th American Music Awards held at Nokia Theatre L.A. Live on November 18, 2012 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty Images)
Jenny McCarthy will join The View this fall, and news of her appointment has caused a stir primarily because of the star's outspokenness about a link between vaccinations and autism.
"I will be doing everything I can to provoke conversation, make you think, make you laugh and maybe even spill the beans on what goes on backstage (like if I accidentally barge into Bradley Cooper's dressing room in a towel)," she wrote on her Chicago Sun-Times "Splash" blog Monday.
USA TODAY rounds up her other eyebrow-raising quotes over the years
• "I don't have the whole story, but, I do know that, after being in this business 20 years, it's really crummy that you get attacked in your personal life in general. ... She's very very talented and people know that, so...He can go to hell," McCarthy told E! news in February in defense of her Oscar-nominated cousin Melissa McCarthy. Film critic described Melissa as a "hippo" in his review of her comedy Identity Thief.
• "I figured (pose) one more time before everything really falls apart. Why not? And (son) Evan's tuition was really expensive this year," she told the Today show last summer about her decision to pose for Playboy's July/August 2012 issue.
• "Let me see if I can put this in scientific terms: Think of autism like a fart, and vaccines are the finger you pull to make it happen." -- while discussing her son Evan's autism
• "I couldn't help it, he was just so delicious, so little, and just, ahhhk, I wanted to tear his head off and eat it." -- to reporters backstage after grabbing and kissing Justin Bieber at the 2012 American Music Awards
• "I look at autism like a bus accident, and you don't become cured from a bus accident, but you can recover." -- Time magazine, 2010
• "No I don't have a sex tape and I'm kind of upset that I don't. You know why? 'Cause I'm really good," -- Access Hollywood, 2010
• "Me being a Playmate? Of course. Being around naked women, something is going to happen. ... Yeah, I've played around." -- Access Hollywood in 2010 about whether she's had sexual experiences with women
• "All of a sudden I hear WOAH, WOAH! And I said is there anything on it? What's wrong? ... (The makeup artist said) 'They said they never saw anyone as hairy as you in their entire life!'" -- on the Oprah Winfrey Show in 2010 about her personal grooming habits for her first Playboy shoot in 1993
• "The sands were coming through, and toward the end I just kind of noticed they were almost done and each (grain) was a lesson. ... All those lessons were being learned, and after the final one dropped, I looked at him like a teacher and kind of knew. And he did too." -- on the Oprah Winfrey Show in 2010 while discussing her split from actor Jim Carrey after five years of dating.
Arienne Thompson, USA TODAY