Bring the summer flavor into your kitchen with the Corner Taco Food Truck! The Jax Truckies Food Rally is also happening today from 11 to 5 this afternoon. Check their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/jaxtruckies.
Yields about 12 six inch tortillas
1 ¼ cup + 1 Tbl Warm Tap Water
1 ¾ cup Maseca (available in the flour section at most large grocery stores)
1 ½ tsp Unsalted Butter
1 ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- Mix in a bowl until it forms the consistency of cookie dough
- Press 12 separate balls using a tortilla press or place between 2 sheets of wax paper and roll with dough roller
- Cook on medium heat in a cast iron skillet unil the edges curl (approx 1 ½ minutes). Flip and cook another 30 seconds.
- Place in a Ziploc bag (fold over edges, don't zip or tortilla will get soggy). Keep warm using a tortilla warmer or wrapped in warm wet towels
Yields about 2 servings
1 lb. Mayport Shrimp
1 Tbl Wondra Flour (available in most grocery stores-substitute rice flour to make gluten free)
¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- Preheat 10" pan over medium high heat with about 1 tbl peanut oil (or canola, etc) + 1 tsp butter. The oil is hot enough when it looks like asphalt on a hot summer day.
- Season shrimp with salt and dust with wondra.
- Sear until edges just start to curl (about 1 ½ minutes-flip shrimp and cook about 30 seconds more.
White Corn Puree
Yields about 1 cup
2 ears White Corn
2 Tbl Heavy Cream
½ cup Water, Chicken or Vegetable Stock
2 tsp Minced Shallot (or white onion)
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
Kosher Salt to taste
- Grate corn on the big eye of a box grater, making sure to extract the corn "milk" by grating close to the stalk
- Add the rest of the ingredients except cayenne. Bring to simmer and continue cooking for 5 minutes
- Add cayenne and cook 1 minute.
First Coast News