Thursday, November 22, Thanksgiving Taste Test recipe for sausage stuffing.
- 8 cups cubed day-old cornbread (1-inch cubes)
- 2 cups cubed day-old country-style white bread, crusts removed (1-inch cubes)
- 1.5 pounds mild Italian pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil, if needed
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup French chestnuts, quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed fresh herbs, such as sage, rosemary and thyme
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a shallow gratin pan.
- Spread the cornbread and white bread out on a baking sheet.
- Toast in the oven until light golden brown and dry to the touch, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, brown the sausage, stirring and crumbling with a fork, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Return the pan to medium heat. Add the olive oil to the accumulated fat in the pan, if needed.
- Add the onion and celery and saute, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, 50 to 7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the dressing to the prepared gratin pan, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and continue baking until browned and crispy, 35 to 40 minutes more.
Serves 10 to 12.
First Coast News