JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Chefs from Virginia College's Culinary Arts Program joined Good Morning Jacksonville to share their signature "fish dish".
Pan Seared Red Grouper & Mahi Mahi w/ Mixed Greens & Arugula Salad,
Florida Reds, Orange Basil Vinaigrette
2T ½ olive oil, l ½ canola oil
4 - 3 oz portions of boneless, skinless (wrapped in paper towel to absorb any additional water that would prevent a good sear)
8 C Mixed Salad Greens & Baby Arugula
1 LB Florida Red Potatoes sliced ¼ inch thick and cooked and cooled
½ LB Fresh Green Beans blanched and shocked
15-20 Cherry or Grape Tomatoes, halved
- 1/8 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 3 Tbs white vinegar
- 1 tsp honey,
- ½ tsp chopped shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ T of chopped basil
- 1/8 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2cup grapeseed, vegetable or canola oil
Beat the vinegar in a bowl with the optional honey, shallot, herbs, salt and pepper until the salt dissolves. Then beat in the oil by droplets, whisking constantly. (Or place all the ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake to combine.) Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Pre-heat the sauté pan with the 2 T of oil until the oil begins to smoke.
- Season fish with S & P and carefully lay in pan, presentation side down
- Sear for 2 minutes each side and place pan in a 400 degree oven to finish cooking.
(Internal temp: Approximately 140-145 degrees.)
- Remove fish from pan and rest to let juices congeal
- Toss the potatoes, tomatoes, and green beans lightly in the vinaigrette
- Place the salad greens on a dish and lightly drizzle with the vinaigrette
- Arrange potatoes, tomatoes and green beans on the salad greens and place seared fish on top of the vegetables
Fresh Melon Salad w/ a Ginger Gastrique
Salad Ingredients: mixed together in a bowl once cut)
¼ea. Lg Watermelon, medium diced
½ ea. Cantaloupe, medium dice
½ ea. Honeydew, medium diced
2 T Fresh Cilantro, chopped
¼ C Ginger Gastrique
½ C White Vinegar or White wine vinegar
½ C granulated sugar
½ C water
2 in. piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced thin
1/4tsp Chili paste (Sambal Oelek )
1. Add vinegar, sugar, water, ginger and chili paste to a small saucepot and reduce over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until a light syrup is formed while at the hot stage.
2. Cool at room temp. Do not reduce to far or it will become too thick when cooled or even harden.
3. When room temp, drizzle gastrique over salad and mix lightly.
First Coast News