JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Chef Bill Thompson from the Art Institute of Jacksonville shares some great recipes for grilling out.
½ ea onion, Brunoise
1 ea garlic clove, minced
1 ea jalapeno, brunoise
4 Tbs brown sugar
4 oz ketchup
1 oz Worcestershire sauce
1 ea lemon, juiced
2 Tbs Dijon
½ tsp dry mustard
½ tsp chili powder
2 oz honey
3 oz red wine vinegar
2 oz bourbon
2 Tbs butter
- Sweat the onions, jalapeno, and garlic in butter. Add the mustard and chili powder, toast.
- Add the brown sugar and melt.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the bourbon, whisk to combine.
- Slowly simmer for 30 minutes, stir occasionally to inhibit scorching.
- Add the bourbon and adjust the seasoning.
Bacon Wrapped BBQ Shrimp
2 # Mayport shrimp, 16/20s
36 ea bacon strips
36 ea 1 oz. jack cheese batonnet
14 ea bamboo skewers, soaked in water
5 oz bourbon BBQ sauce
- Peel and devein the shrimp, butterflying 3/4s of the way.
- Par-cook the bacon for 6 minutes @ 350°to render. Drain and cool. Cut in half diagonally.
- Place the cheese batonnets in the butterflied section of the shrimp.
- Wrap the shrimp with the par-cooked bacon and run two skewers through the shrimp to secure the bacon.
- Place five wrapped shrimp on each set of skewers.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over medium heat, when ¾ of the way done begin to baste with the bourbon BBQ sauce.
First Coast News