TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- You may submit a crash report online to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles instead of calling a law enforcement officer.
In Florida, if you are involved in an accident that does not need an officer you have 10 days to file your own written crash report.
The online form guides you through a set of questions that help you complete the report. Once completed, the report is automatically submitted to the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, which can be saved and printed if needed.
If the crash meets the following criteria, the driver may complete the Driver Self Report of Traffic Crash form:
- No injuries resulted from the crash (no report of pain or discomfort or visible injuries)
- No vehicle involved in the crash required a tow truck (wrecker)
- The crash did not involve (an intoxicated driver)
- The crash did not involve a "hit and run" vehicle (all vehicles involved must have been occupied)
- The crash did not involve a commercial motor vehicle
First Coast News