ATLANTA (WXIA) -- Police and rescue crews rushed to Finch Elementary School in Southwest
Atlanta Monday morning, where at least 49 people were overcome by carbon
CHECK OUR SISTER STATION, WXIA, FOR MORE COVERAGE OF THIS STORY
The reports came in to 911 at about 8:35 a.m. Monday. The school is located at 1114 Avon Avenue in the Oakland City area.
Fire crews said when they arrived, at least six people had been
overcome by the fumes. Three had regained conciousness. Officials said
most of the people overcome were from a single classroom at Finch.
Atlanta Public School officials said six adults were transported to
Atlanta Medical Center, and 43 students were taken to Children's Health
Care of Atlanta at Hughes Spalding.
According to 11Alive's Paul Crawley, all the students at Hughes Spalding
are in good condition after precautions taken for carbon monoxide
School officials said they were evacuating the entire school building as
a precaution. Atlanta Public Schools officials said the remaining
students from Finch were being bussed to Brown Middle School for the
remainder of the school day, but that they are available for release
Atlanta Fire Department Batallion Chief Todd Edwards said that when
crews entered the building at Finch Elementary, the carbon monoxide
levels -- at 1,700 PPM -- were the highest that they had ever recorded
inside a building.
Lieutenant Marian McDaniel, speaking on 11Alive News Monday morning, said Finch is a relatively new school.
First Coast News