LOOMIS, Calif. -- California health officials are renewing
warnings about wild mushrooms after two elderly residents of an
assisted-living facility near Sacramento died after eating soup made
with deadly fungi.
Four others at the six-person elder care home also were sickened Friday, including the caretaker who made the soup.
wild mushroom dealer Casey Jonquil says amateurs take a big risk when
they harvest wild mushrooms. It takes a trained eye to discern some
poisonous varieties from edible ones.
Placer County sheriff's
officials say the deaths of Barbara Lopes and Teresa Olesniewicz were an
accident. Both were residents of the homey Gold Age Villa in Loomis and
died after eating mushroom soup.
Severe mushroom poisoning can result in renal and liver failure.
Facility owner Raisa Oselsky did not return calls.