JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - Halloween can be a scary time for parents, so it is important to remember some basic Trick-or-Treat safety tips.
According to nurse Vicki Coppen with the Florida Poison Information Center in Jacksonville, children are especially susceptible to eating adult medications around Halloween. Kids are getting candy everywhere and can confuse a pill or a vitamin for a sweet.
"It can be easily mistaken for candy any time of the year, but especially when all the mind set right now is on candy," explained Coppen. "If they see something sitting on the counter or the bathroom counter, they're going to think it's candy versus medications."
Coppen said the best thing is to make sure any medicines are kept out of sight and out of reach.
When taking your children Trick-or-Treating, the Poison Center suggests parents lay some ground rules beforehand. Let them know they cannot eat any treats before a parent gets to look them over.
Trick-Or-Treat Candy Tips
- Parents should inspect their children's candy before kids eat any of it.
- Throw away any sweets that are open or may have rips or holes in the packaging
- Feed your child dinner before he or she goes from door to door. That way, he is less tempted to eat treats on the road.
- Check to make sure the candy in your child's treat bag is age appropriate. Toddlers should not have anything that could be a choking hazard.
- If your child has allergies, check for ingredients in her candy that could lead to a reaction
- Be sure to send your children with a flashlight or a glow stick to make them more visible, but make certain they do not chew on the glow stick. If broken, the chemicals inside can irritate their eyes and stomachs.
- Make sure any face paint your child uses for his costume is clearly labeled "non-toxic."
- If you have adults over to celebrate, make sure any alcoholic drinks are kept away from children. Sweet, mixed drinks can hide the taste of alcohol and be attractive to kids.