PALATKA, Fla. -- Eighteen people have been implicated in a four-month investigation into illegal drug dealing in Putnam County.
According to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Johnny Batts, of Palatka, received illegal drugs from suppliers in South Florida and then distributed them to others who supplied street dealers.
PICTURES: Arrested in Drug investigation
"Today, we took large amounts of drugs, drug dealers, felons and firearms off the street," said 7th Judicial Circuit State Attorney R. J. Larizza in a statement.
"Johnny Batts, the leader of this drug gang was recently released from prison on drug-related charges. Such contempt for the law and the safety and welfare of the citizens of the 7th Circuit is intolerable."
More than 1,200 grams of cocaine, one pound of high grade cannabis, 60 Roxicodone pills and 10 Lortab pills, along with more than $20,000 in U.S. Currency and six firearms were seized in the investigation. Four of the firearms were taken from convicted felons.
The Tri-County Narcotics Task Force was responsible for the arrests. The agency is comprised of FDLE, the Putnam, St. Johns, and Flagler County sheriff's offices, the Palatka Police Department, the St. Augustine Beach Police Department, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Homeland Security Investigations.
The following is a list of the 17 individuals arrested in this investigation:
Name, Date of Birth, City of Residence, Charge
- Johnny S. Batts, 10-20-80, Palatka - Conspiracy to Traffic Cocaine
- Andrea Calhoun, 12-14-65, Palatka--Conspiracy to Traffic Cocaine
- Torrey Smart, 02-27-78, Palatka-Conspiracy to Traffic Cocaine
- Larry Hall Sr., 02-02-60, Palatka-Conspiracy to Traffic Cocaine
- Timothy Wiggins, 02-28-68, Palatka-Conspiracy to Traffic Cocaine
- Tyrone Johnson, 11-27-73, Palatka-Trafficking in Cocaine
- Demetrius McCaskill, 02-16-83, Palatka-Conspiracy to Traffic in a Schedule II Cont. Substance
- Cartageous Valentine, 09-03-80, Palatka--Trafficking in Cocaine
- Darrell Jones, 11-06-76, Palatka--Conspiracy to Traffic in Cocaine
- Kevin Adams, 06-29-79, Palatka--Trafficking in Cocaine
- Alvin Perry, 05-24-78, Palatka--Trafficking in Cocaine
- Lawrence Sharp 06-23-69, Palatka-Conspiracy to Possess Cocaine w/ Intent to Sell
- Marvin Brown, 07-17-79, Palatka--Conspiracy to Possess Cocaine w/ Intent to Sell
- Jim Curry, 11-17-77, Palatka--Conspiracy to Possess Cocaine w/ Intent to Sell
- Cory Daniels, 10-09-82, East Palatka--Trafficking in Cocaine
- Kristin Kellum, 06-09-87, Palatka--Conspiracy to Possess a Schedule II Controlled Substance
- Royvie Leonard, 03-10-59, Palatka-Possession of Cocaine w/Intent to Sell
One person has an outstanding warrant but has not yet been arrested.
First Coast News