LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch

Victim's family speaks out about Post Office shooting

4:51 PM, Mar 11, 2013   |    comments
23, Harold Steven Davis
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

First Coast News Apps

Get the FCN APPS

- Weather: Android | iPhoneiPad
- News: AndroidiPhone | Mobile Web
- Political Florida: Android | iPhone/iPad
  Windows Phone | Mobile Web

- Deal Chicken: Android | iPhone | Mobile Web


JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The family of a young man allegedly shot and killed by an ex-girlfriend at a Post Office branch this weekend speaks out about the shooting.

"My son did not like any confrontation at all, I mean none. Any time an argument would break out or something, he would just stand there, and walk away the first shot he got," said Harold Davis Sr., the victim's father.

Harold Davis Sr. said his son, Harold Steven Davis, never fought back or argued with 22-year-old Arianne Alexys Myles. He said the two dated for more than a year, but she had broken up with him twice before. They had been separated for seven months, and his son was even engaged to another woman.

"No one had any idea that she was still after him. He had just asked me to marry him. He wanted to get out and live in the mountains and get away from here. He did not want to live in the city," said Bobbie Jean Durham, victim's fiance.

A retired Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Sergeant was at the post office with his wife, heard the shot and then followed the white Ford Focus and called police.

"I was trying to remain a safe distance from the vehicle because you can tell from the firepower she had that it was large enough I didn't want her turning around and shooting at us," said Mark Shinholser, Retired JSO Sergeant.

When police caught up, they chased Myles for about a mile until she crashed another vehicle with a mother and her children in the car.

"All I saw was from a distance that a crash had occurred and when we arrived at that location, she was fighting with the police so I exited my vehicle and went up and assisted them and handcuffed her," said Shinholser.

23-year-old Harold Steven Davis was excited about his new job at ATT and had just got engaged to his fiance the day before the shooting. His family said he graduated last year from ITT but was planning on going back to school to become an Herbalist because he loved making home-made remedies from herbs. The family said Davis had many plans, but now he's gone because of a senseless act.

"A relationship isn't worth killing someone over. They destroyed an entire family not to mention she almost killed another family. It's not worth it. Get over it," said Durham.

The suspect has not been booked into jail. She will be transported after receiving treatment for injuries related to the crash. The mother and children in the vehicle hit are said to be OK.

Many witnesses called police after the shooting Sunday, but officers say there was a witness with the suspect who stayed behind and talked to police on scene. Police say the witness did not know the suspect had a gun.

Victims of domestic violence are urged to report abuse to the police. There are also other resources available through domestic violence prevention hotlines. On the First Coast, dial 800-500-1119 to find the outreach center closest to you.

First Coast News

Most Watched Videos