JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jacksonville Symphony management and musicians have agreed to a new contract after months of tension.
The symphony's chairman-elect told the audience gathered for a Friday night piano concerto that a two-year contract approved by the board also had been approved by the musicians' bargaining unit.
Chairman-elect Martin F. Conner III told The Florida Times-Union that the contract was a "very satisfying compromise." Conner said now it's time to "turn around the symphony, which is in very, very bad shape."
The two sides had declared an impasse in September in contract negotiations. The musicians decided not to strike and continued working for reduced salaries while pursuing an unfair labor practices charge with the National Labor Relations Board. That case is pending before an administrative law judge.