JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Emergency Preparedness Division of the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department released on Wednesday these guidelines to follow in severe weather:
• Do not allow children to play in flood waters due to the potential for drowning and hazardous materials (chemicals, debris, sewage, etc.)
• Remember to Turn Around, Don't Drown if you come across standing water.
• Six feet of water can cause a driver to lose control while driving. 18-24" can move an SUV off the road while at a complete stop
• Use caution while driving due to the potential for hydroplaning
• Heavy rain overwhelms drainage systems, so temporary flooding and standing water should be expected and is not necessarily an indication there is a problem with the drain or ditch
• Residents should secure any items outside that could wash into a ditch or drain - yard debris, trash cans/lids, for sale/rent signs, kiddie pools, etc.
• Report floods or flood damage at 630CITY.coj.net or call 630-CITY (2489).