JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A local family is starting over after losing almost everything in a trailer home fire on the Westside Thursday.
"It's hard to pick through that stuff and say two days ago it was all here and now it's just gone," said Sandra Griffin.
Griffin and her two oldest children have been trying to salvage items from the trailer home they were renting on the Westside. On Thursday afternoon Griffin says she was at work when she got a call from her 16-year-old daughter saying the home was on fire.
"I try not to get too upset because poor thing over here keeps saying 'it was my fault' and it wasn't it was an accident," said Griffin.
Shayla Griffin says she was cooking and left the kitchen for a second to help her brother with something. When she returned a grease fire started in the kitchen. She says she tried to pour salt to put it out, but it went out of control very quickly.
"There's a lot of smoke damage, there's a lot of fire damage, he [fire official] said you're not going to be able to live here," said Griffin.
Firefighters told the family it was a total loss. The single mom of three kids 18, 16, and 11 has gone back to the home to save items, but there's not much to save.
"When you're down with the only clothes you have all smell like smoke and you've got no help to scavenge what's left and not even sure we can use what we are saving," said Griffin.
The Red Cross is helping the family with hotel stay for the next few days and some money for food. But after that, they say they don't know what's next.
"When you're week to week and I, obviously not prepared to have to put rent or security deposit I'm in no position to do that, we'll be lucky to eat until next pay day," said Griffin.
And even though they are going through hard times, Philip Griffin says it could have been much worse.
"There are things I regret losing in the fire, but my sister and my mom, that's irreplaceable. Even if I had lost everything single last thing I owned, I would be happy to have them," said Philip.
First Coast News