ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- A fire ripped through a home which belongs to man and his wife around 4:30 a.m. Wednesday morning.
It happened at a house in the 1500 block of Lightsey Road in St. Augustine.
James Little with the State Fire Marshal's office said the husband went to bed around 12:30 a.m. and the smoke detector went off around 4:30 a.m. The wife was at work at the time of the fire.
The husband was able to get out of the house but the couple's cat died. The woman said that the cat was "irreplaceable."
The couple will stay in a hotel for the time being.
Investigators with the State Fire Marshal's office have some theories about the cause but will not release them yet.
First Coast News