LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch

Police Confirm 8th Fatality in Brunswick Killings

9:08 PM, Aug 30, 2009   |    comments
  • Associated Press
  • Associated Press
  • Guy Heinze Jr.
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

BRUNSWICK, GA -- Glynn County Police Chief Matt Doering says an eighth person has died at the hospital after being in critical condition for almost two days.  Doering says the other, and now sole, survivor is still in critical condition.

At a 9 p.m. news conference Doering says he will announce a $25,000 reward for any information leading to an arrest in the case.

Exact details of the reward offer are not known at this time.

Investigators combed a two mile area looking for clues that would bring them closer to answers to why a family of seven was murdered and two people were left for dead early Saturday morning.

"Be aware. Be alert. Don't think it's okay, because it ain't," said Doering. In a 3 p.m. news conference, he took the time to urge citizens to be cautious and remain on alert as there are no known suspects. He asked that anyone that see's anything suspicious come forward.

"There's an individual we would like to know about that's not at the scene," he said.

Doering is "confident" the killer will be caught.

An autopsy was completed on one of the victims this morning. Investigators now know the cause of death but are not releasing it fearing it will taint the investigation.

Doering has been vague in answering questions and accounts in the investigation claiming the integrity of the case would be at risk.

"This is a highly unusual event," said Doering "this is the first time we have had this many victims in one event." He went on to say that protecting key information from the suspect is vital to his/her capture.

"We want to be sure we do it right the first time. We only have one chance."

Police arrested the man that called 911 yesterday after finding the gruesome scene around 8 a.m inside a home at the New Hope Plantation mobile home park. But Guy Heinze Jr. is not being charged in the killings, said Doering Sunday morning.

Police are holding Heinze, 22, in the county jail on drug and obstruction charges. Heinze, who called 911 alerting police to the scene, is related to at least one of the victims found in the home, police said.

Investigators said he is cooperating.

The charges are possession of a controlled substance (Darvocet), possession of marijuana, tampering with evidence, and obstruction of an officer, which is related to making false statements to police.

The identities and ages of the eight victims are not yet confirmed. The other victim that was injured in the attack remains in critical condition at an unnamed Savannah hospital. All the victims lived in the New Hope home, Doering said at a news conference Sunday morning.

Families of the two critical patients were able to visit them. They were not responsive enough to give investigators details.

Doering would not speculate about when the autopsies, which began at 7:30 a.m., will be complete. But he did say within the next two days.

All of the victims had been removed from the home by 6 p.m. Saturday.

Doering also said that police are expanding their search out two miles from the scene, searching for clues.

Volunteers searched an area 15 miles away from the crime scene but the location was unknown.

Today investigators completed their second evidence collection this morning. Police expect to yet another late night searching for more clues. "Progress has been made," said Doering.  

Neighbors in the park have been very cooperative, police said. Officials have used nearby surveillance cameras to confirm some of their accounts. There are no cameras in the New Hope park.

"I am absolutely certain 100 percent what happened," said Doering. "Absolutely certain how it happened -- now the question is, who's responsible."

First Coast News

Most Watched Videos