Bottoms up! Tina Fey and Amy Poehler hosted the Golden Globe Awards.
(Photo: Paul Drinkwater AP)
Tina Fey and Amy Poehler's formula of zinging without stinging, which won them raves last year in their debut as hosts of the Golden Globe Awards, served them well again Sunday.
From the opening dialogue that mocked their own return ("This is Hollywood,'' said Fey, "if something kind of works they'll just keep doing it until everyone hates it'') to Fey's loving jab at her partner's own Globe win, the pair kept the star-packed audience rollicking and the party rolling. Among the targets:
• Meryl Streep. "She was so brilliant in August: Osage County,'' said Fey, "proving that there are still great parts in Hollywood for Meryl Streeps over 60.''
• American Hustle. : "The original name of that movie was Explosion at the Wig Factory,'' said Fey.
• Gravity. "It's the story of how George Clooney would rather float away into space and die than spend one more minute with a woman his own age,'' said Fey.
• Her. "It takes place in the not-so-distant future,'' said Fey, "which is perfect because so does Joaquin Phoenix.''
• Matthew McConaughey. "For his role in Dallas Buyers Club he lost 45 pounds. Or what actresses call 'being in a movie,' '' said Fey.
• The Wolf of Wall Street. "Some of it was too graphic,'' said Poehler. "If I wanted to see Jonah Hill masturbate at a pool party I'd go to one of Jonah Hill's pool parties.''
• 12 Years a Slave. "I can honestly say that after seeing that film I will never look at slavery the same way again,'' said Poehler. Responded Fey: "Wait - how were you....''
• Masters of Sex. That's "the degree I got from Boston College,'' said Poehler.
• Captain Phillips' Barkhad Abdi. "There's such a wonderful life lesson here: Sleep with your limo driver tonight before he gets famous," said Poehler of the former chauffeur.
• Melissa McCarthy. "She was the cursing consultant on The Wolf of Wall Street,'' said Fey.
• Poehler's Globe win for Parks and Recreation. "I just want to say congratulations again to my friend Amy Poehler, I love you and there's a special place in hell for you,'' said Fey.
• The finale. "This is the beautiful mess we hoped it would be,'' said Fey. "And I got to make out with Bono!'' said Poehler.
Compete coverage: The 2014 Golden Globe Awards
Golden Globes 2014: And the winners are...
5 things to know from the Golden Globes
Section of Golden Globe red carpet flooded
Globes' golden moments: On stage and off
Fey and Poehler's best Globes jokes
'American Hustle' leads Golden Globes
Julia Roberts' dress draws extreme reaction
Red carpet redux roils Globes