CORAL GABLES, FL (AP) -- A young Coral Gables boy bitten by a snake is in the hospital. Officials say the boy was playing with his dog in his backyard yesterday evening when the snake bit his leg. The boy was taken to the hospital. He was recovering there this morning.
Ernie Jillson with the Miami-Dade County Fire Rescue Venom Unit says the child had fang marks on his leg, possibly from a coral snake. But he says the child was not able to possitively identify the type of snake that bit him and the boy was treated with anti-venom.
Jillson says the boy is doing well and should be released from the hospital soon. The coral snake is a small-sized, slender-bodied reptile with short fangs and a small mouth.