LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch
 

Second sinkhole forms three miles from sinkhole that formed under home, swallowing man

7:20 PM, Mar 4, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
  • FILED UNDER

(ABC NEWS) - A second sinkhole opened up Monday afternoon about three miles from a sinkhole that formed beneath a home last week, swallowing a man who is presumed dead. 

This one is in a backyard at 1204 Cedar Tree Lane.  The call came in around 4:20 p.m.

The family who resides in the home was there when the sinkhole opened.  Shaken by what occurred, the family declined to speak on camera.  They told ABC Action News they lived in the home almost two years but now want to move.

According to Hillsborough County Fire Rescue, there was no structure damage and no one was hurt.  However, a white fence dividing the homes at 1204 and 1206 Cedar Tree Lane did sustain damage.

As fire rescue and code enforcement officers swarmed the block, neighbors gathered outside and grew increasingly nervous that this sinkhole could be connected to the sinkhole which swallowed a man Thursday night.

"This is not geologically linked to the other sinkhole," said William Puz, spokeperson for Hillsborough County.

Puz called the situation 'evolving.'  While there were no evacuations, Puz said the family who lived in the home was told they could either stay in the home or go somewhere they felt safe.  The family opted for the latter option.

Katia Vargas, who lives at 1202 Cedar Tree Lane, said inspectors have told her family their house sits over multiple sinkholes. 

"It is really scary that this happened here," explained Vargas.

Vargas said her family has decided to pack up and stay at hotel until they can figure out what to do next.

ABC News

Most Watched Videos