CLEVELAND (WKYC) -- Ariel Castro, 52, the man accused of kidnapping three
women and holding them captive and sexually abusing them for a decade in
his Cleveland house, was indicted late Friday afternoon.
The 142-page indictment is out.
A Cuyahoga County Grand Jury has returned a 329-count indictment
against Ariel Castro, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy J. McGinty
The indictments cover only the period from August of 2002, when the
first of the three women discovered in his Seymour Avenue house last
month disappeared, until February of 2007.
RELATED: Local woman says she's been in Cleveland 'House of Horrors'
Castro was indicted for one act of aggravated murder for purposely
and with prior calculation and design causing the unlawful termination
of another's pregnancy, as covered by Sections 2903.01(A) and (B) of the
Ohio Revised Code.
He was also indicted on 139 counts of rape, 177 counts of kidnapping,
seven counts of gross sexual imposition, three counts of felonious
assault and one count of possession of criminal tools. He will be
arraigned on those charges next week and a trial judge will be assigned
at that time.
"Today's indictments represent a first major step in the criminal justice process," said McGinty.
"Our investigation continues, and we will present our findings to the grand jury.'"
When the indictment process is complete, the County Prosecutor's
Capital Review Committee will consider whether this case is appropriate
to attach a death penalty specification.
The protocol for making that evaluation was posted on the web site of this office on May 21, 2013.
He has been in the Cuyahoga County Jail since his arrest on May 6. He was charged on May 8.
It's been one month and a day since Amanda Berry, Berry's daughter,
Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight escaped from his Seymour Avenue home,
saying that they had been kept there.