JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Michael Dunn, the man accused of murdering Jordan Davis, 17, was back in court for two hearings Tuesday.
Dunn asked again to be declared indigent, and that request was denied. This request was also denied in May. He also requested bond and that request was also denied, as it was in March.
Judge Russell Healey is the third judge to oversee this case.
Dunn is charged with first degree murder and wanted the court to declare him indigent, which means he claims he does not have enough money to pay for a legal defense.
If the court had granted his request, Dunn's defense would have fallen onto taxpayers by way of a public defender.
First Coast News previously reported Dunn's parents were paying $7,500 a month for their son's legal expenses.
Dunn also previously said his only asset was a vehicle that is now in police custody.
It is unclear what has happened that has caused Dunn to need to be declared indigent. He previously sought such a declaration, which was denied by the case's first judge, Suzanne Bass.
Dunn's defense attorney at the time argued he could not receive a fair trial with Bass on the bench. She then recused herself.
Judge Mallory Cooper was then assigned to the case before she too recused herself this month. No reason was given.
State Attorney Angela Corey has said she will personally prosecute the Dunn case.
Authorities say Dunn fatally shot Davis at a Southside gas station last November after an argument over loud music.
The public defender's office would not release a dollar amount to First Coast News about how much Dunn's defense would cost if he were declared indigent.
However, the office said every case is different, especially when dealing with a high-profile murder case.
Meanwhile, the attorney for Davis' family released a statement to First Coast News.
John Phillips said it is important moving forward to minimize any comparisons to the Trayvon Martin case.
Here is part of the statement:
"Until further notice, we are no longer doing press conferences or phone interviews on anything related to Jordan's cases. We will review and consider any and all proposals for "warm extended conversations" about the family, the case and other matters of public interest. These will be largely sit-down interviews, not sound bytes. As we approach trial, we have a strong interest in uniting this city, state and country, letting them all know about this wonderful family and its terrible loss and have learned from the cold and forced messages of other suits. The same requests will apply to all forms of media and are to go through me until completion of criminal trial. We want a fair trial and were all shaken by the events in Sanford."
First Coast News