LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch
 

More than 100 killed as Egyptian forces break up sit-ins

11:31 AM, Aug 14, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

CAIRO - Nearly 100 people were killed in clashes across the country that erupted Wednesday when Egyptian security forces cleared out thousands of people at sit-ins demanding the return of ousted president Mohammed Morsi.

The Egyptian Health Ministry says 149 people died and hundreds were injured in the clashes, after which Egypt's interim president declared a state of emergency and night-time curfew.

Vice-President Mohammed El Baradei announced his resignation from the interim government, saying he "cannot bear the responsibility for one drop of blood."

Smoke was spread across the sky in Cairo at the height of the fighting from fires that were smoldering in the streets at two sit-ins. The sit-in areas were largely abandoned later in the day, heaped with charred tent poles and tarps.

At the Rabaa Al-Awadiya camp, a protester said snipers were everywhere and bullets could be heard, though from whom no one could say.

"People are dying - women, children," said Hesham Al Ashry, a pro-Morsi protester who follows hard-line Islamic ideology, speaking frantically from inside the sit-in.

Reports differed over the number of people killed and injured when security forces moved into the protest sites. Trains stopped operating and banks were closed as police chased protesters accused of instigating violence.

Most shops in Cairo shut their doors and the streets were almost entirely vacant of the throng of vehicles that usually clog the capital.

"All the people are afraid," said taxi driver Korolos Gad, whipping his car through the empty streets and pointing out the military tanks that deployed in the city. "After a while, things will be fine."

The military blocked roads leading to the smaller Nahda sit-in and cordoned off the bridge that leads to Tahrir Square. Downtown, near another entrance to the square, tanks lined a small side street in front of the Egyptian Museum.

Muslim Brotherhood spokesman Gehad El-Haddad said on Twitter that at least 250 people were killed, a number well above other estimates. Britain's Sky News confirmed that one of its cameramen was killed in the clashes.

Protesters, many of whom were members of Morsi's Islamist Muslim Brotherhood, told reporters that government forces used live fire against them. The Interior Ministry said only tear gas was used.

Police and army helicopters hovered over both sites. Army troops did not take part in the clearing out of the two sit-ins but provided security at both spots.

Bearded men could be seen handcuffed and sitting along sidewalks not far from the larger protest camp outside the Rabaa Al-Adawiya mosque in Cairo's Nasr City. The Interior Ministry, which is in charge of the police, said live fire came from the camp when security moved in to clear it out.

At least 200 people have been arrested at the two camps, the Ministry has said. The smaller of the two sit-ins, at Nahda Square, had been cleared and sealed off by security forces, according to witness reports.

The U.S. Embassy in Cairo closed its consular services starting at 1 p.m. local time as retaliatory attacks erupted across the country. Morsi, the nation's first freely elected leader, was ousted by the military July 3 after he forced through changes to the constitution that appeared to curtail freedoms, ignored the rulings of the Supreme Court and encouraged violence against his opponents.

On Wednesday there was protests and clashes outside Cairo as well between demonstrators and security forces, according to witnesses and local news reports.

Brotherhood loyalists torched a church in the Upper Egyptian city of Sohag and set fire to police vehicles in Assuit. In Suez, they blocked a road by setting car tires on fire, the state news agency said. Police stations across the country were attacked, and in Fayoum, Morsi supporters set fire to a Christian youth center, local press reports said.

"The people of Egypt will take to every square in Egypt - Cairo, Alexandria, Tanta, and in Upper Egypt," said Mohammed Attiya, a supporter of Morsi as he went to a protest in the Nile Delta. "They will be there until they end the coup."

Supporters of Morsi have maintained the two main Cairo sit-ins for over a month despite threats by authorities that they will be dispersed by security forces. Protesters said they would not leave and demanded Morsi's reinstatement.

"People elected Morsi and voted for the constitution and the parliament," said Abou Zeid Badr, 30, at the Nahda sit-in Tuesday night. "And these votes were crushed by the military."

Leading up to the clashes Wednesday have been several battles between Morsi supporters and military-backed forces. At least 130 people have been killed in two separate clashes that erupted in July.

The military has jailed numerous Brotherhood leaders. Islamist television stations have been shut down. Morsi is being detained under house arrest. An interim government made up of Brotherhood opponents and the military is moving ahead with a transitional plan and working to draft a new constitution.

Al Ashry said the United States, which says the military moved to restore democracy and not take over the country, must intervene.

"They have to be clear as soon as possible that this is a military, bloody coup," he said amid sounds of gunfire. "If the United States does not take a clear stance, there will be no embassy here and no Americans anywhere in the Middle East. Tell them to wake up and say: This is a military coup."

Analysts said the situation will not be resolved by crackdowns. They say the interim government must take steps that the majority of Egyptians would support, such as measures to boost employment and incomes. Egypt's economy has been ruined by the unrest, and tourism, one of the country's major industries, has fallen dramatically.

"The deep roots of the crisis need to be addressed and what we're seeing is the temporary manifestation of the anger of the Muslim Brotherhood," said political analyst Mazen Hassan, in Cairo. "It will be a mistake to think (authorities) can end this crisis by dispersing them."

Unlike sit-ins over the past two and a half years, since the uprising against Hosni Mubarak in 2011, authorities in early August called the pro-Morsi camps a threat to national security.

The sit-ins were also more fortified than any previous protest camps, likely making it more difficult for security to break them up and creating a landscape that could lead to more casualties, Hassan said. The Rabaa camp was protected by several sets of walls made from pavement stones and piles of sandbags, which also secured the perimeter of the Nahda sit-in.

Human rights groups had warned against forcefully dispersing the camps and foreign diplomats over the past few weeks flooded into the capital to help resolve the crisis. Authorities, however, said that international effort failed.

Over the past six weeks, the sit-ins grew into self-sufficient hamlets. Protesters created extensive security networks, with volunteers at Nahda Square checking identification cards, searching cameras and cars and seeking to weed out secret police. If suspects were caught, they were forced to give testimony and a copy of their ID, Ghaffar said.

Demonstrators stayed in tents made from wooden frames, drew electricity from lampposts, built restrooms, established a garbage collection network and hosted organized activities including soccer games at the Rabaa sit-in. Meals were distributed and makeshift hospitals were established.

"People gave us money - donations - or medicine, and we also bought supplies," said Mohammed Ads, a medical student who volunteered at an emergency hospital established Tuesday in Rabaa Al-Adawiya in anticipation of the looming need to treat the wounded.

Sarah Lynch, Special for USA TODAY Contributing: The Associated Press

Most Watched Videos