George Zimmerman, the acquitted shooter in the death of Trayvon Martin, faces a Seminole circuit judge during a first-appearance hearing on charges including aggravated assault stemming from a fight with his girlfriend November 19, 2013 in Sanford, Florida. Zimmerman, 30, was arrested after police responded to a domestic disturbance call at a house. He was acquitted in July of all charges in the shooting death of unarmed, black teenager, Trayvon Martin. (Photo by Joe Burbank-Pool/Getty Images)
Florida prosecutors said Wednesday that they would not file domestic violence charges against George Zimmerman after his girlfriend told police he had pointed a shotgun at her three weeks ago.
The move comes two days after Zimmerman submitted an affidavit from Samantha Scheibe stating she did not want "my boyfriend" charged with aggravated assault, battery and criminal mischief. She said investigators had misinterpreted her statements about the Nov. 18 incident at the home in Apopka, Seminole County, that she had been sharing with Zimmerman.
Scheibe called 911 to report that he had pointed a shotgun at her, smashed a glass-top coffee table, pushed her outside and locked himself inside after she told him to move out.
Prosecutors could have proceeded with the case despite Scheibe's change of heart, but State Attorney Phil Archer said a conviction would be unlikely without her cooperation or corroborating evidence.
Zimmerman, 30, has had several brushes with the law since being acquitted in July of killing 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in what he called self-defense.
Michael Winter, USA TODAY