LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch
 

AP: FL man choked to death in roach-eating contest

2:23 PM, Nov 26, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
  • FILED UNDER

First Coast News Apps

Get the FCN APPS

- Weather: Android | iPhoneiPad
- News: AndroidiPhone | Mobile Web
- Political Florida: Android | iPhone/iPad
  Windows Phone | Mobile Web

- Deal Chicken: Android | iPhone | Mobile Web

 

MIAMI -- An autopsy has concluded that a Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live roaches during a contest earlier this year.
    
The report released Monday says 32-year-old Edward Archbold of West Palm Beach died as a result of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents."
    
Lab tests for drugs came back negative. The death has been ruled an accident.
    
Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in October for the contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of Miami. The grand prize was a python.
    
Archbold became ill shortly after and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
    
Authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.

Associated Press

Most Watched Videos