LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch
 
LIVE VIDEO: Good Morning Jacksonville    Watch
 

West Wing briefly evacuated due to smoke, due to overheated transformer

7:38 AM, May 11, 2013   |    comments
West Wing of the White House, Washington DC (Photo Courtesy of AP)
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

(ABC NEWS) -- The West Wing of the White House was evacuated early Saturday morning due to an overheated transformer.

U.S. Secret Service told ABC News that at around 7 a.m., someone reported seeing smoke coming from what looked like a mechanical closet in the West Wing of the White House.

The D.C. Fire Department later clarified that it was an "odor that smelled like smoke" that was reported.

Out of an abundance of caution, the West Wing was evacuated and the D.C. Fire Department was called.

A D.C. Fire Department official said that the smell eventually dissipated, and there was no fire.

U.S. Secret Service said that this was caused by an overheated transformer. The situation is now all clear and people have been allowed back into the West Wing.

By Arlette Saenz

Most Watched Videos