LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch

After Five Years of Repairs Homeowner Wants Appliances Replaced

5:38 PM, Sep 20, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Catherine Moore has stacks of repair orders that show her Duet washer and dryer have been repaired a dozen times in the past five years.

"They've replaced the inner and outer tubs," said Moore.

The homeowner said she's had problems with leaks in the washer and improper temperatures in the dryer.

"The dryer will dry and then it doesn't dry, and then we smell something hot and what we do is just unplug it," she added.

The Moores purchased their Whirlpool appliances from Lowe's in July 2006, along with a four-year extended warranty through N.E.W. corporation.

She said both Whirlpool and the extended warranty have been responsive, but the problems are not going away.

"I bet I have thrown away $1,500 worth of clothes," she said.

Moore said the machines are tearing holes in clothing and she doesn't know how.


There are big holes and there are small ones. According to several work orders, the technicians have tried to fix the problem, but it is still an issue.

"I think the issue with the tearing started in '09. I brought it to everyone's attention that would talk to me," said Moore.

Today the extended warranty company customer service told Moore her complaint will be escalated for an executive decision.

Whirlpool's Paul Merchan and Laura Lechner from N.E.W. are now reviewing Moore's complaint for a resolution.

Her appliances do not meet Florida's Lemon Law; however, she may still be eligible for replacement under the federal Magnuson-Moss Act.

"If that's all I can get I'll take it because I don't want to be back and forth to the laundromat," said Moore.

Moore said her appliances are at the end of the extended warranty and she would like to have the a washer and a dryer she can depend on. 

Florida's Lemon Law only covers motor vehicles, but if you have a defective product, the best practice is to file a complaint with the manufacturer in writing; state the problem and desired resolution. Give them 30-days to respond.

You can also contact the state at




First Coast News

Most Watched Videos