LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch

Woman calls On Your Side team for help with $120 wedding cake refund

8:28 AM, Jun 26, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Call it a cake conundrum. A Jacksonville mother-to-be said she's frustrated because she hasn't gotten a refund for a wedding cake she paid for.

So, she called the On Your Side team for help. FCN's David Williams hit the road and knocked on doors to get answers.

"She does great cakes," Vanessa Sanderson of Jacksonville said about the woman who made her wedding cake. "She does beautiful work"

The cake for her Sanderson's May 11th wedding was going to be beautiful, she said

"Vanilla and chocolate," she said as she began to describe the elaborate decorations.

On April 11th, Sanderson said she ordered the cake from a local cake maker. Everything went well, until Sanderson said her doctor ordered her on bed rest. Sanderson, who is pregnant, had to cancel everything on April 29th, including the cake.

Sanderson said the cake maker told her a cash refund for $120 was in the mail. But Sanderson said she never got it.

"I just want either my money back or say "hey I'll give you a cake in return," she said.

First Coast News knocked on the door of the cake maker's home. No one answered the door. First Coast News also called a number listed as belonging to the cake maker and left a message to try to get answers for Sanderson.

Sanderson said she went through Facebook and did not sign any documents. She also said she didn't check with state agencies for a license. It is something she said she learned the hard way.

"Next time, I'm going to make sure everything is in writing," she said.

FCN We did more research for you. Here are a few things you can do to make sure you get what you pay for.

1) Make sure you verify your baker is licensed by the state. For example, the state health department.

2) Choose a reputable bakery

3) Visit in person meet with staff.

4) Seek feedback from others.

A representative with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services said under the cottage food law, a person can make certain items in their home and sell them to others without a license but only if you follow certain state rules. Those items include goods such as cakes.

First Coast News

Most Watched Videos