JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- This Halloween, thousands of children will be out enjoying the evening while trick-or-treating on the First Coast.
There are parts of the First Coast that parents should be aware of when it comes to sexual predators/offenders. This list is not meant to scare parents or families, however it is meant to inform parents of what could be in your area.
Here are the top offender home address areas using Department of Law Enforcement data.
1. Duval County, zip code 32206; 175 offenders are registered.
2. Clay County, zip code 32068; 147 offenders are registered (primarily in Middleburg)
3. Duval County, zip code 32218;142 offenders are registered.
4. St. Johns County, zip code 32084; 56 offenders are registered (primarily in St. Augustine)
5. Nassau County, zip code 32034; 32 offenders are registered (primarily in Fernandina Beach)
6. Duval County, zip code 32256; 17 offenders are registered.
The 32206 zip code is also home to Jacquelyn Cooper
"I'm surprised and very upset," the mother, grandmother and great-grandmother said. "Because I'm afraid."
The Florida Department of Corrections said officers will be conducting surveillance during designated trick-or-treat hours statewide, including surprise visits by probation officers to make sure sex offenders under felony supervision don't participate in any Halloween activities involving minors.
Offenders under supervision have been strictly told to not give out candy or other treats, turn off porch lights and close blinds. Offenders are not allowed to have outside decorations to attract children and are told not to answer the door to trick-or-treaters. Those who don't comply will be immediately arrested.
To find out where sex offenders or predators are near you, or if any live along your trick-or-treating route, check the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's website. There you will find the offender registry.
First Coast News