JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Here are the stories of success for Tuesday December 17, 2013. We helped several people find answers when they reached out to the On Your Side team.
1. Edwin said his son is living in an apartment infested with roaches and Edwin said the landlords have apparently not done much about it.
FCN suggested he do the following:
- Call the city of Jacksonville at 904-630-2489
- Call the City's Municipal Code enforcement division at 904-255-7000
- Send a letter to the landlord stating the problems and give him/her 7 days to correct the issue. You can withhold the rent, but in Florida, you have to follow strict guidelines or you may get evicted. In the letter you send, you cal also state at the time how much of the rent will be reduced until the problem is resolved. You should always put the rent in a separate bank account until the dispute is resolved.
2. Ronald said his family's items were heavily damaged after a move from Orlando to Fernandina Beach. FCN suggested Ronald do the following:
- Call the Florida Attorney General's No Fraud hotline 1-866-966-7226.
- File a claim with the carrier.
- Call the Florida Division of Consumer Services at 1-800-Help-Fla.
3. Lacy said her children endure bullying at a local school. She reached out to FCN for help. FCN told her that we did a series of special events about this very subject. We spent many hours working with people just like the children in your family who endure bullying.
Here is a link to a wealth of resources compiled by FCN. Once you click the link, look to the right. You will find several resources including how to get help now, respond to bullying and useful information and phone numbers for Duval County Public Schools in terms of bullying.
If you call the bullying hotline listed on the DCPS website, an administrator will investigate each report of harassment.
First Coast News