Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston (5) leaves the field after the Seminoles' game Nov. 23 against Idaho at Doak Campbell Stadium.
(Photo: Melina Vastola, USA TODAY Sports)
Additional details of the delayed investigation into a year-old rape allegation against Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston were released Wednesday by the office of State Attorney Willie Meggs.
Meggs, citing a lack of evidence, declined last week to charge Winston with sexual battery in relation to the case.
The new information includes a recording of the call made by a friend of the complainant reporting the alleged rape to Florida State University police in the early morning hours of Dec. 7, 2012. During the call, the woman's friend tells an officer the woman did not know who raped her or where the incident occurred, but that she was driven home on a scooter by the man, who did not look her in the face.
Also included in the public-records release were audio-recorded interviews conducted last month with the FSU student who made the initial report, as well as two of the complainant's other friends who were with her at Potbelly's bar before she left with Winston that night. Several of those interviewed said details of the incident were hard to remember after nearly a year.
Recordings of recent law enforcement interviews with Winston's friends also were made available to the public. Fellow FSU football players Chris Casher and Ronald Darby both said they left bar with the couple in a taxi and witnessed them having consensual sex at Winston's apartment.
Written by Jennifer Portman, Tallahassee Democrat