Photo by the Associated Press
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The On Your Side team has made calls and is getting solutions for a viewer who said she is concerned about the adjacent chimney to her home.
Nancy said she lives in a duplex in the city, and the other side is rented by a landlord. Nancy and her husband told FCN that both sides of the duplex have fireplaces.
"Recently I had my fireplace inspected by a chimney sweep and it was fine; however, the chimney sweep informed me that the other side of the duplex, which I do not own, needs repair and is definitely a fire hazard," Nancy's husband told FCN.
Nancy said she has made calls to several city agencies and feels like she is getting no where. She also said she believed the landlord would not do anything about the issue.
FCN contacted the State Fire Marshal's office that oversees Duval County. We were told the office does not typically deal with this type of situation, but a spokesperson offered to inquire about what, if anything, could be done.
FCN contacted the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department. A spokesperson said rental properties fall under a certain ordinance that requires compliance when it comes to fire safety.
JFRD also suggested the homeowner call the City of Jacksonville's Code Enforcement at 904-255-7000.
FCN also reached out to the landlord.
"I'm not positive there's a problem but we're going to get professional help to come take a look at it," the landlord told FCN on Wednesday. "We're taking care of the situation."
First Coast News