ST. LOUIS, Mo. (KSDK) - The man suspected of shooting a financial aid director at Stevens Institute of Business and Arts is a previously convicted felon.
According to court records, 34-year-old Sean Johnson pleaded guilty to second-degree assault and unlawful use of a weapon in June 2011. The Missouri Department of Corrections said he violated his probation in May 2012 and there was a warrant placed for his arrest.
St. Louis police had the streets surrounding the 5300 of Cote Brilliante Avenue in north St. Louis blocked off and a SWAT team searching Sean Johnson's home following Tuesday afternoon's shooting.
"I just think it's a poor reflection of this community. We are decent people," said Justin Anderson, Johnson's neighbor. "We live, we work; I just think it's sad we have that element in our community, but it's not a reflection of all of us."
Anderson said he was at home playing video games when he noticed all the commotion outside his home. While Anderson said he doesn't Sean Johnson, he was nonetheless shocked to hear what he allegedly did.
"...I think it's really sad what happened," he said.
Investigators said Sean Johnson was a student at the Stevens Institute of Business and Arts in the Loft District in downtown St. Louis. They said he came in to get financial aid on Monday and was rejected. He came back Tuesday to voice his disagreement and that's when he shot his financial advisor, Greg Elsenrath, in the chest with a 9mm handgun.
Court records show Johnson had a history of mental illness and was taking medication prior to the shooting.
After undergoing surgery, sources said Johnson is listed in stable condition at Saint Louis University Hospital. Meanwhile, Elsenrath remains in stable condition at SLU Hospital.