LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch

Former Ponte Vedra soccer coach responds to threat in the mail

7:13 PM, Mar 5, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
A former Ponte Vedra Soccer Club coach received this letter in the mail inside an envelope that had "U DIE" written on the inside.

PONTE VEDRA, Fla. -- A former Ponte Vedra Soccer Club coach is speaking out after receiving what he perceives as a death threat in the mail.

"It's pretty frightening. I never expected somebody would do that," said Trey Clark via a phone interview.

On February 7, George Trey Clark filed a police report after receiving a letter in the mail saying "YOU AND YOUR REDNECK FAMILY NEED TO LEAVE PONTE VEDRA," inside an envelope that said "U DIE" written on the inside. He said that after settling a lawsuit against the Ponte Vedra Palm Valley Athletic Association, he has dealt with several forms of attack.

"We've had stuff smeared on our car window," said Clark. "We've had, our truck was keyed at the soccer field real bad one day and then we get this letter in the mail."

Clark doesn't know who could have sent the threat. He worked with the Ponte Vedra Soccer Club for 17 years, 10 of those years he was the director of coaching for the girls and boys soccer teams.

"Every coach has issues with parents or whatever. We never had anything of this magnitude, we never had any kind of property being destroyed or death threats," said Clark.

Three individuals were mentioned in the police report as persons Clark has had issues with during and after the lawsuit, including the President of the Athletic Association John Lazarra. Lazarra and the two others told police they are not involved.

Lazarra provided a statement to First Coast News, saying: "It is unfortunate that this situation continues to escalate. I trust the authorities investigating this matter to do everything that can to ensure that the facts are uncovered."

The police report said DNA samples were requested and only Clark and his wife submitted samples. No one has been arrested and the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office has closed the case.

First Coast News

Most Watched Videos