JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Makalia Wiggins was cooking fries with grease and turned away for a minute -- and that's all it took for grease to splatter and destroy the kitchen.
Fortunately, no one was hurt in the fire that happened Thursday afternoon in the 1900 block of Erline Drive on the Northside.
"I just got my baby and got out. That was it," said Wiggins after the fire.
Actually, she was watching two babies and got both of them out safely.
Across the street, neighbor Victor Williams took on babysitting duties, holding the two infants.
"I'm glad she had sense enough to grab the children when she saw the fire and get them out. That's the best thing about it," said Williams.
The Red Cross arrived to help the family of seven with temporary housing.
Wiggins said the family just moved into the home on Erline Drive, which now must be repaired before anyone can move back in.
First Coast News