LIVE VIDEO: WTLV Live Video_1    Watch

Boston one week later: Silence, bells and a funeral

9:48 AM, Apr 22, 2013   |    comments
  • Krystle Campbell, restaurant manager killed in explosion near the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon
  • Lu Lingzi, Boston University graduate student from China killed in explosion near the finish line of the 2013 Boston Marathon
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

BOSTON -- At 2:50 p.m., the city of Boston will begin on Monday the painful process of emerging from a week of tragedy by falling silent to honor the victims of Boston Marathon bombings and its aftermath.

One minute later, bells will ring out to the mark the moment when the first of two explosions erupted near the finish line in Copley Square and changed the city forever.

Three people were killed and more than 180 injured in the explosions at the finish line of the race. A police officer was killed later during the manhunt for the two suspects.

A private funeral was scheduled for 8 a.m. for Krystle Campbell, a 29-year-old restaurant worker killed in the blasts. A memorial service will be held Monday night at Boston University for 23-year-old Lu Lingzi, a graduate student from China.

On Sunday, a memorial was held in Dorchester for Martin Richard, 8, who was also killed in the initial bombings.

Another memorial is planned later this week for Sean Collier, 26, the police officer at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who was shot and killed.

Many Boston residents headed back to workplaces and schools for the first time since the dramatic bombing brought the city to a standstill. Traffic was building on major arteries into the city Monday morning.

In another sign that the city was getting back on its feet, city officials said they are beginning the process of reopening to the public the six-block site around the bombing.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev,19, one of the suspects, was under heavy guard at a hospital with serious gunshot wounds. His brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was shot in a gun battle with police Thursday and died of gunshot wounds, the blast from a suicide vest or after being run over by Dzhokhar as he fled the scene.

With the threat gone,"you can feel the relief at home here," Gov. Deval Patrick said Sunday on CBS Face the Nation.

Healing was very much on the mind of those who attended Sunday services throughout the metropolitan area, which had been shut down for most of the week as authorities hunted for the perpetrators of the bombings.

Boston's historic Trinity Church, however, is in the crime scene and could not host services Sunday, but the congregation was invited to worship at the Temple Israel synagogue instead. The FBI allowed church officials a half-hour Saturday to go inside to gather the priests' robes, the wine and bread for Sunday's service.

Trinity's Rev. Samuel T. Lloyd III offered a prayer for those who were slain "and for those who must rebuild their lives without the legs that they ran and walked on last week."

"So where is God when the terrorists do their work?" Lloyd asked. "God is there, holding us and sustaining us. God is in the pain the victims are suffering, and the healing that will go on. God is with us as we try still to build a just world, a world where there will not be terrorists doing their terrible damage."

Yamiche Alcindor and Doug Stanglin, USA TODA

Most Watched Videos