ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- The guests in various rooms at the Seabreeze Motel in St. Augustine said they're getting shocked in the shower.
Jennifer Roberson is a guest at the motel and she said the shocks happen when touching the knobs.
"It happens when you're in the shower and adjusting the temperatures," Roberson said.
Christopher Pavao has been staying in a different room.
"I've been shocked at least ten times now," Pavao.
"It feels like you can't let go because your hands are frozen to the knobs because it's sending so much current through it," Roberson said.
Roberson and Pavao have been staying at the extended stay Seabreeze Motel for nearly a month.
Pavao said the shock made him fall in the shower Saturday.
"My arm went completely numb. Feels like when your foot's asleep but since Saturday until now, my arm is still asleep," Pavao described.
He went to Flagler Hospital and his paperwork shows a diagnosis of electric shock. Some of these guests told First Coast News they have approached the motel management and owners.
"We said, 'Look, we'll go somewhere else. Give us our money back.' He refused," Pavao said.
Pavao can't leave because he gave them a month's rent.
"I gave them all I had," Pavao said.
"This is the cheapest place we can find," Roberson said. She has been paying for a week at a time.
After guests complained to the city officials, a City of St. Augustine inspector checked out the building on Monday.
An electrician was on site Monday afternoon and shut off electricity to a row of rooms to work on the problem.
Through a motel representative, the motel's owner said the problem is getting resolved and said he did not want the situation reported.
The Fire Marshal said there was an electrical wiring problem.
Later in the afternoon, a police officer arrived at the motel.
The officer appeared to be attempting to calm things down between the guests and a man associated with the motel.
Guests later said the owner told them to leave the motel and he gave them a pro-rated refund.
But Pavao wants more.
"I want to be compensated for the injuries sustained to myself, my mother, and my wife," he said.
First Coast News