Upon accessing OJP.Gov on Mon., Oct. 7, this is the message displayed.
The federal Amber Alert site was back online late Monday morning after being offline due to the federal shutdown.
The federal Amber Alert website
on Sunday displayed a sparse, white screen with a simple message: It's a victim of the government shutdown.
"Due to the lapse in federal funding, this Office of Justice Programs website is unavailable," the message reads, just below a U.S. Department of Justice seal.
The federal website displays information about Amber Alerts, but it is not the vehicle by which an alert is sent. The process by which an alert is sent is determined on a state-by-state basis.
Justice Department spokesman Brian Fallon responded to the criticism late Monday morning and said the site had been restored, but the Office of Justice Programs website was not.
"At no point as AmberAlert system been interrupted during shutdown," Fallon said on Twitter. "To prevent confusion, informational site has been restored."
The website's status does not mean the Amber Alert system has been shut down. Check the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children for recent alerts.
In Georgia, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation will continue to provide updates and alerts to local media in the event of a child abduction alert during the federal shutdown. That information is also provided to other states when and where necessary.